Pizzas 4 Patriots

Pizzas 4 Patriots
$10 provides two soldiers with a taste of home!

Monday, January 21, 2008

“O, wind, if winter comes, can spring be far behind?” -- Percy Bysshe Shelley

We've been lucky so far. What little cold weather we've had here in Cincinnati so far this winter, when it was cold it was really cold!

And only a true friend would model some of my knitting on Fountain Square in a wind chill that was probably in the single digits! My friend Nancy is wearing one of my first projects, a poncho made with Mode Dea Ticker Tape. The yarn was on sale and I was excited about working with the elastic ribbon yarn. I gave the finished project to Nancy knowing how fabulous it would look on her. She gave it her own touch and trimmed the fringe which really enhanced the look. She's also wearing the Booda Bag I knitted using Noro Kureyon yarn. She loved the Booda Bag and again it was perfect for her.

Knitting the Booda Bag was a real adventure. I'd found the pattern on the internet but, couldn't figure out exactly how to do the base and knitting around it. It was more searching and finding many blogging knitters with advice that I finally was successful! I picked up the Noro Kureyon at my favorite LYS, Fiberge, though I can't remember what color it was. I probably should have felted it a little bit longer, and the felted I-chord straps were still stretchy, so more felting might have helped with that. I would also suggest cutting a piece of plastic canvas, covering it in a matching fabric and stitching it to the inside bottom of the bag for support. Nancy liked it as is, so this one didn't have a flat bottom.

Currently I've finished everything I've been working on with the exception of the baby kimono. I've got some projects I'm prepping though, and am anxious to find something else that doesn't take a lot of concentration. I'd found a "reading shawl" that I can't seem to stop thinking about, as well as a mobius shawl that I bought in a kit. I'd also gotten a skein of recycled silk from sarongs and would like to make something for me from it, so I'm looking for the right project.