Pizzas 4 Patriots

Pizzas 4 Patriots
$10 provides two soldiers with a taste of home!

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Isn't this Cozy?




A friend recently flipped through a book I had that showed a laptop cover. They'd recently bought a new laptop and mentioned how neat it would be to have a waterproof cover. Ever one to rise to a challenge, I surfed the net and found that Dale of Norway makes a teflon coated yarn called Hauk that repels water. So... 6 skeins later and one water test, I had a laptop cover made to order! I chose barn red and the charcoal colors and doubled it and used US 11 needles. One strand wasn't quite bulky enough. I also chose to use the stockinette stitch, thinking that the right side would help in keeping water away from the laptop. My friend seemed pleased with the finished product. It was slightly bigger than the laptop and afforded room for the power cord, rather than having to knit an additional pouch.

While I had no trouble with the stitch, I did have my first attempt at making a buttonhole (will need a lot more practice on that!). I also learned a valuable lesson about decreasing when doing the triangular foldover part. I like to think my errors lend a rustic look to it, which compliments the color scheme.

Once that was done I made a baby blanket for a friend's baby. Those pictures will be posted soon. Now I'm working on a neat cover for a bar of soap and learning a new stitch in the process. I keep procrastinating on the sock thing, but it should be next.